This summer when you need to get out of the heat why not check out the highly acclaimed Matilda the Musical. The beloved Roald Dahl book is brought to life in this critically acclaimed performance. The narrative centers around Matilda, a precocious 5-year-old girl who loves reading, overcomes obstacles caused by her family and school, and helps her teacher to reclaim her life. The musical had its Broadway premiere on April 11 2013 at the Shubert Theatre. Matilda won seven 2012 Olivier Awards, including Best New Musical. At the 2013 Tony Awards, the show won five awards, including the Tony Award for Best Book of a Musical.
The Wall Street Journal says, “The makers of MATILDA have done the impossible – triumphantly! It is smart, sweet, zany and stupendous fun.” The New York Post raves “once in a blue moon, a show comes out blazing and restores your faith in Broadway. Matilda the Musical is that show.” Orchestra tickets start from $89 and balcony tickets start from $37. The musical is perfect for the entire family and the energy of the highly talented young actors is infectious. The set, costumes and choreography are vibrant upbeat and energizing.
Looking for a post theatre meal? Here are a few restaurants located near the theatre:
• Sardi’s (234 West 44th Street)
• Angus McIndoe (258 West 44th Street)
• John’s Pizzeria (260 West 44th Street)
• Sam’s (263 West 45th Street)
• Frankie and Johnnie’s (269 West 45th Street)
• Carmine’s (200 West 44th Street)
• Ollie’s Noodle Shop & Grill (200 West 44th Street)
• Haru (1501 Broadway)
• Bond 45 (154 West 45th Street)
• Kodama Sushi (301 West 45th Street)
• Viva Pancho (156 West 44th Street)
• Moto (328 West 45th Street)
• Broadway Joe Steakhouse (315 West 46th Street)